I am sitting with Maria, my Best friend’s cousin, she’s 12 and we both share a passion for cooking. We are thinking together how to introduce to you this recipe…
The mozzarella cheese balls are inspired from the “r2a2at” (cheese cigarettes), which are a Lebanese Mezza or appetizer. This recipe is very easy to make as you can watch in the video below!
Try out this easy recipe; once you bit in the crispy crust and the melting cheese goes running in your mouth you won’t regret it.
1 cup of cooked risotto rice (because risotto rice is rounded shape and sticks to one another more easily
2 eggs + ground black pepper + a pinch of salt
1 tsp of white vinegar
6 small balls of fresh mozzarella
1 cup of breadcrumbs
1 cup of fresh thyme, "zaatar" in arabic
1 cup of water, to help yourself shape the ball of rice
About 1 cup of canola oil for frying, (I used the brand Mazola)
- Cook the risotto rice for 12 minutes in salted water, and then drain in a colander without rinsing.
- Beat the egg with a fork in a bowl, and add the salt, the pepper and the vinegar.
- Take a spoon of rice and make a ball out of it by rolling it around quickly in your palms. Help yourself with water to avoid them sticking everywhere on your fingers.
- Make a whole in the rice ball and put a thyme leave then the fresh mozzarella inside of it.
- Pass into the beaten egg, then roll in breadcrumbs. Repeat the operation a second time.
- Heat the oil until it simmers; then fry the mozzarella balls until the skin turns golden. Serve hot and enjoy!
Decoration tip: You can present your bite-sized appetizers on a bed of fresh thyme leaves!